The old phrase, from “soup to nuts” meant from beginning to end. This phrase came from the various courses that were traditionally served during dinner. Families and guests took their time socializing during and between courses. Etiquette was required; when and how you ate required some precise skills and manners.
Today, we are often rushed to get to the next activity. People who eat quickly don’t chew their food enough, swallowing large pieces of food which doesn’t allow adequate digestion and nutrient absorption. On top of that, we don’t eat real food and many meals are processed foods, high in carbohydrates, lacking the rainbow of colors that we find in fresh fruits and vegetables. Meats that we consume most often are not organic or grass-fed and contain antibiotics and hormones that may contribute to health issues. Nuts, which contain good quality fats and protein are often ignored as a snack choice.
Our current health status is a combination of both our genes and environment, but environment really determines whether those genes are expressed and whether we develop disease. The good news is that we can influence what we eat to a great degree, and therefore have significant control over our own health. However, it is important to understand our current level of health and individual health factors to find the right recipe for our personal health journey.
To get the right recipe for health, here are some things that you should consider:
- Use quality, organic ingredients.
- Prepare your own food or find good quality organic food sources.
- Put away electronics at mealtime.
- Eat slowly and mindfully to savor the flavor of the foods.
- Eat with others and discuss pleasant (not stressful) topics.
- Connect with a functional medicine practitioner and/or health coach to gain a better understanding of your personal health factors and opportunities for improving your health.
- Decide on what your priority health goals are and develop specific goals that you would like to achieve.
- Get the support you need with a personal health coach to be successful going from “soup to nuts”, the beginning to end of your journey to better health.
Disclaimer Statement: This blog is for informational purposes and is not intended to diagnose or recommend therapies/supplements. Peace x Piece Wellness, LLC is not a substitution for medical advice or your medical professional. The views and websites expressed by Peace x Piece Wellness, LLC have not been evaluated or endorsed by a medical professional, the FDA or any other private or public entity. You should not use the information in this book for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem. If using any of the information made available from Peace x Piece Wellness, LLC, without obtaining medical advice from your health professional, you do so at your own risk.
Copyright © 2020 by Peace x Piece Wellness Coaching LLC. All rights reserved.